BMW are to launch their electric motorbike, the BMW C evolution. We previously posted an article about the concept motorbike a while ago, but now it’s great to see BMW take the plunge to make it a reality and a great addition to their electric offerings.
Essentially, it is a city style scooter cross motorbike, giving a very useable 60 mile (100 km) range and quick and easy charging.
One of the main benefits we’re seeing with most electric motor bikes, is their fast charging time for the distance in range gained and the C evolution is no different allowing a charge time from zero to 100% in as little as three hours from a standard household power outlet running at 16 Amps and 220 Volts.
Using components from the shiny new BMW electric parts bin, courtesy of development on the i3, BMW have utilised a very high standard of electrical components that they say meet their passenger car standards and ensures maximum safety.
Of course, aimed at the same market most scooters are, commuters, but with the added benefit of zero tail pipe emissions and near silence when on the move especially when compared to embarrassingly noisy two-stroke scooters, the BMW C evolution is sure to delight owners and give a great introduction to the positive characteristics of electric drive, including fantastic acceleration from the scooter, enough to embarrass most sports cars with a 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) time of a little over six seconds.
Pricing and availability is yet to be confirmed, though the C evolution is slated to appear on the market sometime in 2014.
BMW C evolution Specification Highlights:
- Innovative electric drive system via drivetrain swing arm with liquid-cooled permanent magnet synchronous motor, toothed belt and ring gearing.
- Rated power output 11 kW (homologated according to ECE R85) and 35 kW peak output.
- Maximum torque 72 Nm (53 lb-ft).
- Top speed 120 km/h (75 mph).
- Acceleration 0 – 50 km/h (31 mph) in 2.7 s.
- Acceleration 0 – 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.2 s.
- High range of 100 kilometres (62 miles) in practical operation.
- 4 ride modes available to choose from: Road, Eco Pro, Sail and Dynamic.
- Reversing aid for supremely easy manoeuvring.
- Torque Control Assist (TCA).
- High-voltage battery with high capacity of 8 kWh and innovative air cooling.
- Intelligent recuperation when coasting and when braking.
- Recharged from the domestic mains supply.
- Takes just 4 h to charge to 100 % capacity at 220V / 12A (220V / 16A = 3 h).
- Synergies with BMW Automobile harnessed during development.
- Electrical safety to passenger car standards.
- Hybrid chassis with agile handling due to low centre of gravity.
- Powerful braking system with ABS.
- Large TFT colour display.
- LED daytime running light and sidelight.
- Inspirational colour scheme and design.
Source for specification highlights; BMW